People start out house hunting with a logical list of criteria, but the home they actually buy is chosen largely for emotional reasons. Sellers often imagine that buyers can look past decor and see 'potential', but usually they are not able to.
That is exactly why successful Durham Region builders use ‘Model Homes' to sell their homes. Clever home sellers realize that the same principals apply in the resale market and the buyer, more often than not, becomes emotionally engaged in the home they buy.
The prime goal in preparing your home before putting it on the market, is to allow potential buyers to walk into the house and have that "this is the one, this is our home" feeling. Taking the time to make your home more appealing to more buyers is known to result in a better price and a faster sale.
Home Preparation Checklist for Sellers
It simply makes sense to clean up both the interior and exterior of your home before listing it for sale. But that doesn't mean you have to undertake major home renovation projects on order to sell your home. With a little effort you can increase the perceived value of your home by a great margin.
Here are some simple things to keep in mind that you can do to increase the perceived value of your home and make the perfect first impression.
Exterior of Home: The condition of your home's exterior is most important when it comes to buyer appeal.
At The Front Door:
- Ensure house number is easy to read
- Keep lawns cut
- Trim hedges and bushes
- Weed and edge gardens
- Clear driveway and clean stains
- Clean out garage
- Power wash home exterior
- Plant colourful flowers
- Inspect the roof for necessary repairs and any visible broken shingles or tiles
- Eaves troughs, down spouts, soffits and fascia in good repair
- Touch up trim paint on doors, window frames, etc.
- Wash all windows inside and outside
- Walks shovelled and salted
Setting the Right Mood:
- Clean porch and foyer
- Ensure doorbell works
- Repair or replace any torn or broken screens
- Fresh paint or varnish front door
- Repair any damages to the door and/or locks
Maximize Open Space:
- Warm and welcoming!
- Make sure your home smells fresh and clean
- Turn on lights
- Turn on air conditioner/heater
- Open the drapes
- Light the fireplace
- Fresh flowers/plants in various rooms
- Clear halls and stairs of clutter
- Clear & clean kitchen counter and stove top
- Clear closets & cupboards of unnecessary items (yes, people do look)
- Remove empty boxes and storage
- Put away personal photos & collectibles so buyers can envision the house as theirs
- Repair leaking taps and toilets
- Repair seals/caulking around tubs and basins
- Tighten door knobs and latches
- Drywall cracks, nail holes, etc. filled
- Apply fresh coat of paint or touch up where necessary
- Replace burnt out light bulbs
- Oil squeaking doors
- Repair squeaking floor boards
- Clean furnace and filters
- Clean and freshen bathrooms
- Clean fridge and stove
- Clean around heating vents
- Clean washer and dryer
- Clean floors, carpets, drapes and window blinds
- Empty garbage containers
- Eliminate pet odours and stains
- Pets absent, where possible, or contained during showings
If you should have any Real Estate needs or questions, whether big or small, please feel free to contact me. I appreciate the opportunity and am always glad to help